Auraria, Georgia, is a ghost town located southwest of Dahlonega in Lumpkin County. It is named for the Latin word auraria, meaning gold. The town was also known as Dean, Deans, Nuckollsville, Scuffle Town, and Scuffleville. Today, the area is known as the oldest neighborhood in Denver and is the home of MSU Denver. Here, you will learn the interesting history of this ghost town and what it was like when it ceased to exist.
Auraria was America’s first gold rush town
The name Auraria, meaning “gold”, comes from Latin and means “yellow money.” In Cherokee, the name Dahlonega means “gold.” In 1833, a newspaper was published in the abandoned town. Many people fled the town because of bad economy and retreated to nearby Dahlonega. The new town was more attractive, and the settlers moved there. In 1834, a gold rush hit the area, leading many prospectors to move west.
The town was populated by men from all over the country. Some came on foot, some on horseback, and others in wagons. The men came from all over the country, and some even behaved like crazed crazy people. Then, in 1854, gold was discovered in California. The state’s gold rush was a failure, and the town lost its fortune. But many residents decided to return and continue to mine gold.
It became America’s first ghost town
Auraria is located just upstate from Dahlonega, Georgia. The town was discovered in 1832 and grew to a population of over a thousand. As gold was discovered elsewhere in Georgia, countless hopeful miners flocked to the area to search for it. The area’s thriving population quickly shifted to Dahlonega, where the US Mint was located. The town faded into obscurity once the gold dried up.
Auraria Georgia became America’s first “ghost town” when it was declared a national historic site. The town was the epicenter of a gold rush in north Georgia, which preceded the mining booms in the West by almost two decades. Auraria tells the story of a mining town that rose to the peak of prosperity in the 1830s and faded away in the early twentieth century. This fascinating story of a lost town in Georgia is presented by author E. Merton Coulter, putting the history of the town in context.
It is Denver’s oldest neighborhood
Auraria is a historic neighborhood in Denver, Colorado, located just west of downtown. Originally a mining town in the Kansas Territory, Auraria now thrives as a residential community. This neighborhood is shaped like a triangle with the Colfax Avenue on the southern end, Cherry Creek on the north and the South Platte River on the northwest. It was named after William Greenberry Russell, who founded the town in 1858.
The neighborhood was once home to a large, working-class Hispanic population. However, after a devastating flood in 1965, the Auraria Higher Education Center was built. Many of the neighborhood’s residents were moved and paid fair market value for their homes. Some of them were eventually relocated to Lincoln Park, but they were displaced for good. Today, the neighborhood is dominated by the University of Colorado Denver. Historic Denver saved a historic park and parkland.
It is home to MSU Denver
The Metropolitan State University of Denver women’s basketball team will play Regis University on Friday and Chadron State on Saturday. Both games will take place at the Auraria Events Center. Last season, the team defeated South Dakota School of Mines, but fell short to Black Hills State. This year, the team is looking to improve on its record by taking on tougher competition. The following are some of the things the women’s basketball team will do.
The university first moved to Auraria in 1971, but was eventually forced out after protests from the residents. The university’s plan included plans for a Hispanic cultural center and scholarships for displaced residents. After the community turned against the new plans, a group of residents formed the Auraria Residents’ Organization, but was not successful in defeating the bond initiative. After years of opposition, the residents of Auraria moved to the Lincoln Park neighborhood, a city with a long Hispanic population. In 1976, the Auraria campus was completed.