Staying up-to-date with the latest trends in home and interior design can help you create a modern and stylish living space that reflects your personal style. Today, we will explore the current trends in home design and how you can incorporate them into your own home.
Open Floor Plans Continue to be Popular Home Design Trends
Open floor plans continue to be popular, creating a sense of spaciousness and promoting a seamless flow between different areas of the home. This design trend is particularly popular among families who are looking for a modern and stylish living space. By removing walls and barriers between different areas of the home, open floor plans create a sense of unity and togetherness that is perfect for families who love to entertain guests.
You can tell by looking at most of our floor plans that we love the open style. Most of our layouts include an open kitchen that oversees open living and dining areas flow from one to the other. Bedrooms, laundry areas, and covered patios are all easily accessible from these main home areas, too.
We take inspiration from a couple different architectural styles, including modern rustic and modern farmhouse.
Modern Rustic Style
This style is characterized by the use of natural materials and a general feeling of warmth. It’s perfect for homes with open floor plans and sustainable materials. You’ll find natural wood cabinets and other wood details paired with natural stone countertops and backsplashes, with a few modern elements thrown in 1.
Modern Farmhouse Style
Especially popular in our region of northeast Georgia, this style embraces the idea of blending old and new, creating a comfortable and stylish living environment with a strong connection to the outdoors. It’s a timeless and inviting design choice that appeals to many homeowners seeking a balance between tradition and contemporary living.
Interior spaces of a new A & R Homes house contain neutral palettes and warm wood tones and more traditional materials paired with updated appliances in stainless steel. Our outdoor spaces, like our porches and covered patios, feature natural stone fireplaces and lots of space for seating2.
Sustainable Materials Are Gaining Popularity in Home Design
Using sustainable materials in home design is a growing trend, as homeowners prioritize eco-friendly options that reduce their environmental impact. This trend is particularly popular among families who are looking for ways to reduce their carbon footprint. Sustainable materials such as bamboo, reclaimed wood, and recycled glass are not only eco-friendly but also add a unique touch to your home’s decor.
Smart Home Technology Has Become More Common Over the Past Few Years
Integrating smart home technology into your design allows for greater convenience and control over various aspects of your home, from lighting to security. Smart home technology such as voice-activated assistants, smart thermostats, and automated lighting systems can help you save energy, reduce your carbon footprint, and enhance the functionality of your home.
Personalize Your Home with Interior Design Trends
Once you move into your beautifully designed and built new home, you can start adding your own personal touches. Whether you work with professional interior designers or decide to DIY, we’ve done the research for you!
Here are some popular interior design trends that complement the latest trends in home design:
Use Bold Colors
There are many ways to incorporate bold colors into your home’s decor. Here are some tips to help you get started without calling an interior designer:
- Start Small: If you’re not sure about using bold colors, start small by incorporating them into your decor accents. Consider adding bright pillows, throws, or rugs to your living space, or bold artwork to your walls that will work well with more muted shades in the room.
- Another way to start small: If you’re worried about going too far in a larger room, try a smaller one, like your laundry room. You’re likely the only one who ventures into your laundry room or even your guest room very often. If you want to try your hand at this interior design trend without getting too crazy, consider one of these safer spaces to get creative!
- Mix and Match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match bold colors in your home’s decor. Consider pairing bright yellows with deep blues in a dining room space or vibrant greens with rich purples sprinkled throughout a living room or home office.
- Use Texture and Pattern: Bold colors can be overwhelming if used too much, but you can balance them out by using texture and pattern. Consider adding a bold patterned rug or textured throw pillows to your living space. You might also try adding texture to the shades of floor lamps if you want to bring them higher into the eyeline.
- Pair Bold Colors with Neutrals: Pairing bold colors with neutrals can help balance out the space and prevent it from feeling too overwhelming. Consider using a neutral color palette for your walls and furniture, and then adding pops of bold color throughout the room. This technique offers visual interest without exhausting the eye.
- Consider Accent Walls: Painting an accent wall with a bold color is a great way to add personality to your living space without overwhelming it. Choose a wall that is visible from multiple angles in the room, such as the wall behind your sofa or bed. Just remember to consider shades and tones when choosing your color. Pairing cool paints with warm woods can be tricky.
By incorporating these tips into your home’s decor, you can add bold colors that reflect your personal style while enhancing both the aesthetics and functionality of your home.
Explore Residential Wellness Design
Residential wellness design is a trend that focuses on creating a healthy and sustainable living environment by incorporating natural light, air quality, and other wellness features into your home’s design3. Some of the key features of residential wellness design include smart-home enabled air quality management systems, sensor bathroom vent fans, integrated cooktop-vent hood technology, and strategies that reduce viruses from the air, including HEPA and advanced MERV filtration plus emerging UV-based systems3. Additionally, there is a renewed emphasis on building and design products that don’t emit toxins into a home environment3.
Other wellness features that you can consider incorporating into your home’s design include:
- Natural Light: Natural light is an essential component of residential wellness design. It can help regulate your circadian rhythm, improve your mood, and enhance your overall well-being 4. All A & R floor plans feature large, inviting windows and outdoor patios, offering lots of opportunities to take in the outdoors from the indoors and breathe in the fresh air when the desire strikes. We are especially fond of spending fall Saturdays (yes, we mean Game Days) outside by the fire pits and built-in fireplaces with a grill and the family!
- Indoor Plants: Indoor plants can help purify the air in your home and reduce stress levels. They also add a touch of nature to your living space 5. Plus, all the light streaming in from the windows is great for these guys, too.
- Water Filtration Systems: Water filtration systems can help remove impurities from your drinking water and improve its taste. They also reduce the amount of plastic waste generated by bottled water 6.
Whether you opt for a system in your fridge or on your sink faucet, we can work with you to help you find the very best way to suit your needs here.
- A Home Gym: A home gym can help you stay active and healthy without having to leave your home. It’s perfect for families who are looking for ways to stay fit while balancing their busy schedules 7.
By incorporating these wellness features into your home’s design, you can create a healthy and sustainable living environment that promotes wellness and reduces your environmental impact.
What does it all mean?
Look, we don’t consider ourselves interior design experts, but we’ve seen families create some incredible spaces in the homes we’ve built over the years. We’ve even featured some on our social media channels recently, so check out our Instagram and Facebook pages for some local inspiration!
What we ARE experts at is building quality homes in awesome communities across northeast Georgia. If you’re ready to find your dream home, contact us today!